Monday, September 23, 2013

Skaneateles Real Estate - The Occasional Update (September 18th)

I was already to go with the update, but then realized I had to get in the open house alert for last Sunday at 149 N. Main Street in Jordan.  And I am glad I did!  I was busy all the time - just lovely, and everyone really liked the house too which is always important.  From that moment on I was swamped with work and did not get back to the update....so this one uses September 18th statistics.

There are currently 102 single family homes on the market in the Skaneateles area of the multiple listing service.  Of these, 25 are in the Village and 27 are considered waterfront.  Eight of the nine "new" listings in the past week or so are actually re-listings.

There are 24 properties waiting to close, or to have contingencies removed.  Two new Village properties came under contract.

As of the 18th, 74 single family homes had closed, year-to-date.  Two were in the town, and the third is in the Village.  We are getting closer to the Fourth Twenty!  I can almost see 100 sales this year for the second year in a row....

Speaking of 100 sales.....I attended very sadly the funeral of Mary Toman from Realty USA's Camillus office last week.  The church was filled; her calling hours on Wednesday night lasted 5 hours.

Mary was a fixture in the real estate world I joined over ten years ago.  We did several sales together, and there always seemed time for her to talk a bit.  She was a legend - she did over 100 sales a year, every year, for the past 15 years.  She - personally - without a huge team.

But what was more poignant for me was her beginning, lovingly described by Mark Re.  She had lost both parents by the age of 14, so she lived alone on Shonnard Street and attended St. Pat's School on Tipp Hill.  The powers that be felt this was not appropriate, and wanted to put her in an orphanage.  At the court date a woman who cleaned the school stepped forward and agreed to take Mary - whom she didn't really know - into her home.  Such love and compassion Mary paid back over the years in her own attention to the family she eventually had.  And what I thought was also fascinating....she only started her remarkable real estate career at the age of 47.

I will miss her.


No comments:

Post a Comment