Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Predictions and Resolutions

I love doing resolutions, and then looking back to see if I accomplished them all...monitor and adjust, what works and what doesn't, reflections...all so important to always moving upwards.

Last year I resolved to go to more brokers' opens.  I am not the most social person, and getting out and meeting people is surprisingly difficult for me.  I like having a purpose - then I am fine!  Show a house, sell a home...yes, definitely.  But mix in a crowd...not me...  I went to more broker opens (Tuesdays for the west side of Onondaga County) and took a friend usually.  But then I sold her house and she moved!  I still went, but I will do more this year.

Open houses on Sundays are easy and I love to do them!  Last year I devoted 20 Sundays (and a Saturday) to holding houses open to the public.  I believe in them, and like anything you truly believe in, it works.  The houses are advertised, there is an opportunity for people to come through casually, and the house is shown more.  This year I want to combine opens...I have listings in the Village, and they can be done two in a day. Not easily, but I want my listings open, so I will do the work.  Watch for them, starting January 11th!

I wrote to a friend this morning who was lamenting the fact that she still had three more years until she could retire from teaching.  I told her that I never regretted leaving education early, and that real estate has been absolutely wonderful even though it was a great leap of faith when I started.  I still feel that way, and the resolution that comes out of this declaration is to appreciate it every day.  Getting Christmas cards this year from past clients was so wonderful - they update me on their kids, their lives....and yes, I am a part of their lives.  I want to enhance that, cherish it, never take it for granted.

Predictions...the market will slow with the increased mortgage rates, the lack of inventory.  We simply can't have over 100 houses selling in Skaneateles when there are so few on the market.  Buyers have been coming in and picking up the houses that are there because they waited for years for the economy to change, for prices to come down.  We may be entering another phase of slow-down, of waiting for prices to increase again.  I wish I were a brilliant soothsayer...but under 100 homes sold and closed in 2014 is my educated guess...

One last resolution:  I resolve not to resolve for 2015 to lose those nagging 15 pounds because they will be gone!

Happy New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment